Have you ever tried keeping a food item for baking at the same temperature using different ovens? All the ovens would certainly heat up to a different internal temperature.
Sometimes, you may just walk out for a minute and find your cookies burnt or taking more time than the recipe indicates… No worries, an oven thermometer can help you fix it.
The internal thermometer of your oven can often calibrate the temperature inaccurate as it would just give the location temperature, but the areas around the oven can be subject to drafts or hot spots, which makes their temperature differ from the center of your oven.
An oven thermometer can help you with the correct temperature that is right in the middle of your oven.
Table of Contents
- 1 What is Oven Thermometer?
- 2 Types of Oven Thermometer
- 3 Benefits of Oven Thermometer
- 4 Our 10 Best Oven Thermometers
- 4.1 Ideal Choice: Rubbermaid Instant Read Oven Thermometer
- 4.2 Most Beneficial: Admetior Kitchen Oven Thermometer
- 4.3 Versatile Choice: ThermoPro TP-16 Large LCD Digital Oven Thermometer
- 4.4 Popular Choice: Taylor Classic Series Large Dial Oven Thermometer
- 4.5 Polder SCAN RITE Digital In-Oven Meat Thermometer
- 4.6 PECULA Oven Thermometer
- 4.7 Kt Thermo Dial Oven Thermometer
- 4.8 SMARTRO ST59 Digital Meat Thermometer
- 4.9 Polder Deluxe Oven Thermometer
- 4.10 Winco Dial Oven Thermometer
- 5 Oven Thermometer Buying Guide – Features to Look for When Buying
- 6 FAQs
- 7 Conclusion
What is Oven Thermometer?
An oven thermometer is a small device to measure temperature. It is usually made up of stainless steel thermometer with a clock face dial or can have a digital screen. The oven-safe thermometer helps to measure the exact temperature in the middle of your oven or inside temperature for specific recipes.
Types of Oven Thermometer
There are below types of oven thermometer you can choose from:
1. Dial Thermometers – Common oven thermometers with a clock face that includes an internal mechanism system that broadens and shrinks depending on the temperature to measure the exact reading. Dials include a red hand that moves either up or down as the temperature varies.
2. Digital Thermometers – There are specific dishes that need precise temperature reading, and a digital thermometer provides the exact temperature in decimals. For specific cuts of meat or similar food items, it is very helpful.
3. Instant Read – These thermometers offer quick temperature reading as soon as you place the probe in the meat.
4. Timer Thermometer – If you cannot be present all the time while your dishes are being cooked, you can choose a timer thermometer that can be placed in the dish, and you can set the timer. When the required temperature is reached, the alarm will go off.
5. Thermometer Fork – Similar to instant-read thermometers… but the sensors are included in the fork tines and are very helpful at the time of grilling.
Benefits of Oven Thermometer
An oven thermometer can help you become a better baker without trying and failing and includes the below advantages.
- The juices, texture, and taste are maintained with the correct temperature as the oven thermometer prevents overcooking.
- An oven thermometer eliminates any guesswork you would otherwise follow for the recipes requiring precise cooking temperature.
- A handy device for reheating your leftover food items at a safe temperature.
- Oven thermometer helps you to be consistent and precise for the dishes you frequently cook like cookies or muffins.
- Different cuts of meat need different temperature settings, and oven thermometer allows you to check meat for doneness.
- If your food is not cooked properly, it may shelter bacteria that cause food poisoning… but with the precise healthy temperature cooking, your items are safe to eat.
Our 10 Best Oven Thermometers
Let’s compare these products based on their features and specifications:
|Product||Dial Feature & Size||Temperature Range||Material||Placement|
|Rubbermaid Instant Read Oven Thermometer||Instant read dial||Celsius and Fahrenheit Temperature units||Stainless Steel||Hang or Stand Free Installation|
|Admetior Kitchen Oven Thermometer||1.7 inch Dial||50° to 500° Fahrenheit||High-quality stainless steel||Hanger and stand Mounting|
|ThermoPro TP-16 Large LCD Digital Oven Thermometer||Digital Thermometer with Step Tip design||32° to 572° Fahrenheit||Stainless Steel construction||Hanging Hole|
|Taylor Classic Series Large Dial Oven Thermometer||3.25 inches dial||100° to 600° Fahrenheit and Upto 350° Celsius||Durable Stainless Steel||Hanging or placing on rack|
|Polder SCAN RITE Digital In-Oven Meat Thermometer||Digital Screen||58° to 572° Fahrenheit||Rust-proof Stainless steel||Flexible cable and probe for temperature reading|
|PECULA Oven Thermometer||Large dial with temperature indicator||50° to 300° Celsius and 100° to 600° Fahrenheit||Stainless Steel||Hook panel design|
|Kt Thermo Dial Oven Thermometer||Large dial numbers||100° to 600° Fahrenheit||Stainless steel material||Hang or place on the rack|
|SMARTRO ST59 Digital Meat Thermometer||Digital touchscreen||5 preset cooking temperatures||Durable metal||collapsible probe|
|Polder Deluxe Oven Thermometer||Large dial||150° to 500° Fahrenheit and 65° to 287° Celsius||Unique bi-metal design||Versatile design which allows to stand or hang the thermometer on the oven grade|
|Winco Dial Oven Thermometer||White background with large and easy to read display||50° to 500° Fahrenheit||Stainless material||Hook and panel base|
Ideal Choice: Rubbermaid Instant Read Oven Thermometer
- The thermometer has an extra-large analog dial of 3.25 inches.
- Durable stainless steel construction.
- No need for battery power with the mechanical thermometer.
- Instant reading with high accuracy.
- You can easily hang on the bars running in both directions.
- A large dial with easily readable units.
- Stable base to place it on an interior shelf.
- The metal can accidentally bend.
- Readings start to fluctuate sometime after long use.
- The size of the base is a little small for bigger spaced racks.
- If you remotely tap on the thermometer while it’s hanging… it will fall.
Rubbermaid Instant oven thermometer is a stainless steel thermometer with dial reading for your oven, smoker, grill, or any other food heating appliance as it is sturdy and features durable construction.
The thermometer features reading in both the units and reads between 60 degrees to 580 degrees Fahrenheit or 20 degrees to 300 degrees Celsius.
The design features a battery-free mechanical thermometer and shatterproof lens, which makes it highly durable and consistent. It also features both the options for placement… you can either make it stand or hang it on your oven shelf.
- Instant Read Dial Oven Thermometer.
- Dimension are 3.75 x 2.5 x 1.5 inches.
- Measure temperature in both Celsius and Fahrenheit.
- NSF certified and offers safe use with food items.
- Shatter Proof Lens
- Hang or Stand free installation
Most Beneficial: Admetior Kitchen Oven Thermometer
- Easy to read large numbers.
- Durable construction with reinforced glass lens.
- Wide base and a two-way hook.
- Lightweight and easy to carry.
- You can either keep it on the rack or hang it.
- Compact design.
- Offers a precise and consistent reading.
- Only measures temperature in Fahrenheit.
- Dial size is small.
- The thermometer is not NSF certified.
- It won’t be suitable for the high heat bakery items that need more than 500 degrees temperature.
A compact and easy to use oven thermometer with high-quality stainless steel construction. Admetior kitchen thermometer is suitable for all oven types and comes with a 1.7-inch dial with a red indicator needle to accurately measure the temperature inside your oven.
The thermometer features a long-lasting glass lens. It can measure a temperature range of 50 degrees to 500 degrees Fahrenheit. The oven thermometer comes with both base and hangs on capabilities. The base is wide and features a little slanted angle for a better view.
- 1.7 inch Dial thermometer.
- Dimensions are 2.8 x 1.7 x 1.7 inches.
- 18/0 stainless steel construction.
- Temperature ranges from 50 to 500 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Hanger and Stand mounting.
Versatile Choice: ThermoPro TP-16 Large LCD Digital Oven Thermometer
- Great for checking inside the temperature of your meat.
- Digital temperature is accurate and easy to read.
- You get a beep sound when your desired temperature is reached.
- The angle of the probe makes it easy to insert and pull out of the meat.
- Switches and buttons are quite solid.
- Easy controls with 6
- preset, including meat and fish.
- Braided Metal cable held up the probe very well.
- You can lock the presets to off and just use the up and down button for temperature control.
- You can only wash the tip of the probe… so you need to be careful.
- The food is often overcooked if you set the preset to fish or beef.
- The adhesive connecting the magnet and the thermometer is not strong.
- The braided metal cord will get hot after you take it out
- of the food.
A classy and highly functional oven thermometer that can withstand a temperature up to 716 degrees Fahrenheit. The digital thermometer comes with a 6.5-inch step-down tip design with stainless steel construction that makes the probe measure the temperature with accuracy.
The thermometer features preset options programmed for specific foods, including chicken, fish, ham, beef, etc. You can set your oven temperature either with the programmed alert for these presets or can choose your desired temperature as per your taste.
It also features a magnetic back that makes the storage easy as you can easily attach the thermometer to the refrigerator or any other metal surface. There is also a hanging hole that you can use with your kitchen hooks. Another special feature includes a timer mode that can count up to 99 hours, 55 minutes.
- Digital Thermometer with Stepdown tip design.
- The food-grade tip is 6.5 inches long.
- Programmed presets for specific foods.
- Timer mode is available.
- Temperature ranges from 32 degrees Fahrenheit to 572 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Stainless steel mesh cable.
Popular Choice: Taylor Classic Series Large Dial Oven Thermometer
- Corrosion-resistant with durable construction.
- Both hang on and stand options available for mounting.
- Easy reading with both temperature units.
- Bread comes fine and delicious instead of hard and not crunchy.
- Food doesn’t get overcooked with the zone cooking method.
- Backed up with a 1-year warranty.
- The thermometer is not dishwasher safe.
- Not an instant-read temperature and takes time to read the preheat temperature.
- It will be hot after use, so it uses oven mitts or potholders.
Taylor is a well-known firm manufacturing precision products for kitchen measurement for 170 years, making it a trustable brand in the kitchen world. The classic oven thermometer features a 3.25 inches large dial for proper temperature reading and ensures your food is baked or cooked with precision.
The versatile design of the oven thermometer allows you to hang it from an oven rack or just place it on the rack… as it’ll stand on its own in the oven. Three different zones, including warming, baking, and roasting, are printed on the dial for reference.
The thermometer uses durable stainless steel for its construction that offers corrosion-resistant, durability, and strength to the unit. The oven thermometer features a glass lens with a red pointer/dial that indicates temperature between 100 to 600 degrees Fahrenheit or up to 350 degrees Celsius.
- Extra Large analog dial thermometer.
- Dimensions are 8 x 1.5 x 4.9 inches.
- Durable Stainless Steel construction.
- Warming, roasting, and baking zones for convenience.
- NSF certified.
- Temperature tracked in both Celsius and Fahrenheit.
Polder SCAN RITE Digital In-Oven Meat Thermometer
- You can use the thermometer for making cheese or ice creams.
- Great for meat calibration as specific cuts of meat need different temperatures.
- The readout is super easy
- with a Backlit LCD.
- The back switch allows switching between Fahrenheit and Celsius.
- Flexible cable to insert and pull out from the meat.
- The magnetic base with On and off
- Temperature alert with a loud alarm.
- The thermometer beeps once and starts counting up afterward.
- The plastic-coated cable and probe are not waterproof.
Another digital oven thermometer with precise readings offered in seconds making the product easy to use and handle. The meat thermometer contains high-heat silicon wire constructed using rust-proof stainless steel material.
The thermometer features high-heat food enabled plastic on the probe to improve durability and performance. The oven thermometer can calibrate the temperature from -58 degrees to 572 degrees Fahrenheit. Polder SCAN RITE thermometer has an adorable round design with backlit LCD.
- Digital In-Oven meat thermometer.
- Dimensions are 10.5 x 6.75 x 1.85 inches.
- Backlit LCD for easy reading.
- Temperature ranges from -58 to 572 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Rust-proof stainless steel construction.
PECULA Oven Thermometer
- Constructed with Durable Stainless-steel.
- Versatile and Compact Design.
- Easy-to-read large dial display.
- Accurate and Quick Reading.
- Easy to use and clean.
- Works for various heat-based food appliances.
- Defective glass lens.
- Dial becomes unreadable after a few uses.
- Not suitable for temperatures higher than 500 degrees.
This is one of the most convenient oven thermometers as it is easy to use for various food appliances like toaster ovens, traditional ovens, smokers, and grills.
It is made of a durable stainless steel material that is long-lasting, comes with a protective glass lens that is fit for ovens and is easy to clean. Pecula’s oven thermometer has a hook and panel design, which enables it to be hung or easily installed in any place.
The dial is large, with clear red and blue zones that are the indicators that easily measure the oven temperature. It can also instantly read without requiring battery power.
This oven thermometer works great in measuring oven temperatures from 100 to 600°F/ 50 to 300°C.
- It displays both Fahrenheit and Celsius degrees.
- It has a hook and panel design.
- Dimensions are 2.95 x 2.95 x 1.57 inches.
- Stainless steel material.
- Instantly reads food temperatures.
- Battery-free Design.
Kt Thermo Dial Oven Thermometer
- 2-year warranty.
- Easy to use and clean.
- Accurate reading.
- Large Easy-to-Read Clear Display.
- Easy mounting on racks or shelves.
- Made from stainless steel materials.
- Resists high temperatures.
- Not durable.
- It’s not easy to read as advertised.
- Difficult to set on the oven rack.
This oven thermometer has large numbers that enable it to be read easily. It accurately measures temperatures from 100 to 600 degrees Fahrenheit and monitors the food temperatures as it is extremely precise and enables safe cooking methods.
The Kt Thermo oven thermometers are NSF-approved and constructed with stainless steel material that is durable and can withstand high temperatures.
Not only can you use this for ovens but your grill ovens as well. It is extremely easy to use and clean, and one can hang or place this oven thermometer from an oven rack or shelf.
- Precise sensor oven thermometer.
- Small stands and hook base design.
- Dimensions are 3.78 x 3.15 x 1.97 inches.
- Light-weight of 0.2 lbs.
SMARTRO ST59 Digital Meat Thermometer
- Reliable customer service.
- Bright and big display screen
- Easy to set up and use.
- Tell the temperature very quickly.
- Has two different probes.
- Accurate temperature reading.
- Versatile temperature settings.
- Requires batteries.
- Defective probes.
- Fairly expensive.
This is a smart meat thermometer that comes with a digital touchscreen design that enables you to check the temperature of the meat easily. It also comes with an LCD Backlight display, which makes it easy to use during the night time as it helps to get a clear reading from any angle in a single glance. It also tells the temperature very quickly.
This digital thermometer comes with 5 preset temperatures for 8 different types of meat, ranging from chicken, beef, lamb, pork, turkey, veal, hamburger, etc. It comes with two strong magnets that help you to easily attach it to your fridge or anywhere convenient in the kitchen.
It possesses a “countdown” function that allows you to set up a maximum of 99 minutes and 59 seconds. The built-in timer will alarm you with a beep once the time is up.
This thermometer also comes with a 6.7 inches long collapsible probe that keeps your hand from burning to measure the temperature. The probe can handle temperatures from -20℃ to 250℃. Ensure that you do not leave the probe for extremely high heating grilling, as it may flare up in temperatures exceeding 600℃.
- It is recommended by the USDA.
- Stainless steel probe.
- Retractable stand.
- 5 preset cooking & 8 preset meat options.
- 2 Strong Magnets.
- Touchscreen and Backlit.
- Dimensions are 8.31 x 4.49 x 1.18 inches and Weigh 0.35.
Polder Deluxe Oven Thermometer
- Easy to read.
- Easy cleanup and is dishwasher safe.
- Useful and handy in the kitchen.
- Stable & easy to mount on the racks.
- Stainless steel material.
- Inaccurate temperature reading.
- Flawed glass lens.
- Hard to read from different angles.
This is an oven thermometer made from a unique bi-metal design and comes in the color silver. It has a large dial that has markings of both Celsius and Fahrenheit.
The Polder Delux oven thermometer is easy to use because of its large dials. Most oven thermometers fall off the rack, but this thermometer stays put due to its versatile design, which allows it to stand or be hung on the grate of an oven. This is the reason why it comes in handy in the kitchen space.
- Unique bi-metal design.
- Temperature Range: 150°F to 550°F /65°C to 287°C.
- Dimensions are 5.7 x 3.7 x 1.5 inches and weigh 0.5 lbs.
- Fahrenheit & Celsius markings.
- Versatile design.
- Large dial.
Winco Dial Oven Thermometer
- Large and easy-to-read display.
- Lightweight and compact.
- Handy for the kitchen.
- Stainless steel material.
- Faulty calibration.
- Flawed temperature response.
- Fewer features are available.
A good oven thermometer reads the accurate temperature; the Winco Dial oven thermometer is one such product. This product has a temperature range from 50 to 500 Degree F. It comes with an easy-to-read dial with a white background, making the numbers appear bright.
It comes with Fahrenheit markings for two cooking options of bake and roast. To make placing easier, it comes with a standing panel and a built-in hanging hook.
- NSF certified product.
- Comes with a Hook and Panel Base.
- Product dimensions are 5.06 x 1.56 x 8.44 inches.
- It weighs about 0.2 lbs.
Oven Thermometer Buying Guide – Features to Look for When Buying
There are certain factors you should consider while buying an oven thermometer which is as below:
1. Readability – The face size and digit size of the dial thermometers should be bigger as the larger numbers would not need you to open the window of your oven to read the temperature. Clear and white background for dial thermometers offer easy reading, and digital thermometers are also very easy to read.
2. Temperature Unit and Range – The temperature units are either Fahrenheit or Celsius, and make sure you are comfortable with the unit you are choosing. For traditional cooking, an oven thermometer with a range of 50 to 500 degrees Fahrenheit will be good, but for high heat food cooking or baking, you should choose a model up to 600 degrees Fahrenheit.
3. Placement – Oven thermometers usually come with hooks, and you can hang it on the oven racks, and some of them stand on their own with the base. If your oven window is big, you can position the oven thermometer on one end of the rack or hang it if your oven window is small.
4. Material – Stainless Steel with a 304-grade type is safe to use in ovens. Another option is to choose an oven thermometer approved by the National Sanitation Foundation (NSF) that ensures the firm obeys industry concerning material standards, design, safety, construction, and performance factors.
5. Waterproof – It is great to choose an oven thermometer that is waterproof as you would be using it inside your dishes for precise reading and would need often cleaning with water to remove stains.
You would not like the food to be overcooked, undercooked, or coming out with a hard texture after so much effort you put into cooking or baking. Thus, an oven thermometer helps you with the precise temperature reading to cook and bake your dishes as per the recipe.
According to my recommendation, the Polder Deluxe Oven Thermometer would be a great option as it caters to both Celius and Fahrenheit markings. It has a large dial that is easy to read, and the material is durable as well.
All these features make it a great option for your cooking and baking sprees. But, if you are a meat lover and you are looking for a great meat thermometer, then the SMARTRO ST59 Digital Meat Thermometer is one of the best options available and fits as a suitable product in your modern home.
It has a digital display and an LED backlight, along with this it has 5 cooking options for 8 different types of meat, isn’t that a big enough reason to get your hands on this product?
Subscribe to our newsletter below.