Have you ever tried keeping a food item for baking at the same temperature using different ovens? All the ovens would certainly heat up to a different internal temperature.
Sometimes, you may just walk out for a minute and find your cookies burnt or taking more time than the recipe indicates… No worries, an oven thermometer can help you fix it.
The internal thermometer of your oven can often calibrate the temperature inaccurate as it would just give the location temperature, but the areas around the oven can be subject to drafts or hot spots, which makes their temperature differ from the center of your oven.
An oven thermometer can help you with the correct temperature that is right in the middle of your oven.
Table of Contents
- 1 What is Oven Thermometer
- 2 Types of Oven Thermometer
- 3 Benefits of Oven Thermometer
- 4 Our 5 Best Oven Thermometer
- 5 Features to Look for While Buying an Oven Thermometer
- 6 Conclusion
What is Oven Thermometer
An oven thermometer is a small device to measure temperature. It is usually made up of stainless steel thermometer with a clock face dial or can have a digital screen. The oven-safe thermometer helps to measure the exact temperature in the middle of your oven or inside temperature for specific recipes.
Types of Oven Thermometer
There are below types of oven thermometer you can choose from:
1. Dial Thermometers – Common oven thermometers with a clock face that includes an internal mechanism system that broadens and shrinks depending on the temperature to measure the exact reading. Dials include a red hand that moves either up or down as the temperature varies.
2. Digital Thermometers – There are specific dishes that need precise temperature reading, and a digital thermometer provides the exact temperature in decimals. For specific cuts of meat or similar food items, it is very helpful.
3. Instant Read – These thermometers offer quick temperature reading as soon as you place the probe in the meat.
4. Timer Thermometer – If you cannot be present all the time while your dishes are being cooked, you can choose a timer thermometer that can be placed in the dish, and you can set the timer. When the required temperature is reached, the alarm will go off.
5. Thermometer Fork – Similar to instant-read thermometers… but the sensors are included in the fork tines and are very helpful at the time of grilling.
Benefits of Oven Thermometer
An oven thermometer can help you become a better baker without trying and failing and includes the below advantages.
- The juices, texture, and taste are maintained with the correct temperature as the oven thermometer prevents overcooking.
- An oven thermometer eliminates any guesswork you would otherwise follow for the recipes requiring precise cooking temperature.
- A handy device for reheating your leftover food items at a safe temperature.
- Oven thermometer helps you to be consistent and precise for the dishes you frequently cook like cookies or muffins.
- Different cuts of meat need different temperature settings, and oven thermometer allows you to check meat for doneness.
- If your food is not cooked properly, it may shelter bacteria that cause food poisoning… but with the precise healthy temperature cooking, your items are safe to eat.
Our 5 Best Oven Thermometer
Rubbermaid Instant Read Oven Thermometer
Rubbermaid Instant oven thermometer is a stainless steel thermometer with dial reading for your oven, smoker, grill, or any other food heating appliance as it is sturdy and features durable construction.
The thermometer features reading in both the units and reads between 60 degrees to 580 degrees Fahrenheit or 20 degrees to 300 degrees Celsius.
The design features a battery-free mechanical thermometer and shatterproof lens, which makes it highly durable and consistent. It also features both the options for placement… you can either make it stand or hang it on your oven shelf.
- Instant Read Dial Oven Thermometer.
- Dimension are 3.75 x 2.5 x 1.5 inches.
- Measure temperature in both Celsius and Fahrenheit.
- NSF certified and offers safe use with food items.
- Shatter Proof Lens
- Hang or Stand free installation
Admetior Kitchen Oven Thermometer
A compact and easy to use oven thermometer with high-quality stainless steel construction. Admetior kitchen thermometer is suitable for all oven types and comes with a 1.7-inch dial with a red indicator needle to accurately measure the temperature inside your oven.
The thermometer features a long-lasting glass lens. It can measure a temperature range of 50 degrees to 500 degrees Fahrenheit. The oven thermometer comes with both the base and hang on capabilities. The base is wide and features a little slanted angle for a better view.
- 1.7 inch Dial thermometer.
- Dimensions are 2.8 x 1.7 x 1.7 inches.
- 18/0 stainless steel construction.
- Temperature ranges from 50 to 500 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Hanger and Stand mounting.
ThermoPro TP-16 Large LCD Digital Oven Thermometer
A classy and highly functional oven thermometer that can withstand a temperature up to 716 degrees Fahrenheit. The digital thermometer comes with a 6.5-inch step-down tip design with stainless steel construction that makes the probe measure the temperature with accuracy.
The thermometer features preset options programmed for specific foods, including chicken, fish, ham, beef, etc. You can set your oven temperature either with the programmed alert for these presets or can choose your desired temperature as per your taste.
It also features a magnetic back that makes the storage easy as you can easily attach the thermometer to the refrigerator or any other metal surface. There is also a hanging hole that you can use with your kitchen hooks. Another special feature includes timer mode that can count up to 99 hours, 55 minutes.
- Digital Thermometer with Stepdown tip design.
- The food-grade tip is 6.5 inches long.
- Programmed presets for specific foods.
- Timer mode is available.
- Temperature ranges from 32 degrees Fahrenheit to 572 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Stainless steel mesh cable.
Taylor Classic Series Large Dial Oven Thermometer
Taylor is a well-known firm manufacturing precision products for kitchen measurement from 165 years, making it a trustable brand in the kitchen world. The classic oven thermometer features a 3.25 inches large dial for proper temperature reading and ensures your food is baked or cooked with precision.
The versatile design of the oven thermometer allows you to hang it from an oven rack or just place it on the rack… as it’ll stand on its own in the oven. Three different zones, including warming, baking, and roasting, are printed on the dial for reference.
The thermometer uses durable stainless steel for its construction that offers corrosion-resistant, durability, and strength to the unit. The oven thermometer features a glass lens with a red pointer/dial that indicates temperature between 100 to 600 degrees Fahrenheit or up to 350 degrees Celsius.
- Extra Large analog dial thermometer.
- Dimensions are 8 x 1.5 x 4.9 inches.
- Durable Stainless Steel construction.
- Warming, roasting, and baking zones for convenience.
- NSF certified.
- Temperature tracked in both Celsius and Fahrenheit.
Polder SCAN RITE Digital In-Oven Meat Thermometer
Another digital oven thermometer with precise readings offered in seconds making the product easy to use and handle. The meat thermometer contains high-heat silicon wire constructed using rust-proof stainless steel material.
The thermometer features high-heat food enabled plastic on the probe to improve durability and performance. The oven thermometer can calibrate the temperature from -58 degrees to 572 degrees Fahrenheit. Polder SCAN RITE thermometer has an adorable round design with backlit LCD.
- Digital In-Oven meat thermometer.
- Dimensions are 10.5 x 6.75 x 1.85 inches.
- Backlit LCD for easy reading.
- Temperature ranges from -58 to 572 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Rust-proof stainless steel construction.
Features to Look for While Buying an Oven Thermometer
There are certain factors you should consider while buying an oven thermometer which is as below:
1. Readability – The face size and digit size of the dial thermometers should be bigger as the larger numbers would not need you to open the window of your oven to read the temperature. Clear and white background for dial thermometers offer easy reading, and digital thermometers are also very easy to read.
2. Temperature Unit and Range – The temperature units are either Fahrenheit or Celsius, and make sure you are comfortable with the unit you are choosing. For traditional cooking, an oven thermometer with a range of 50 to 500 degrees Fahrenheit will be good, but for high heat food cooking or baking, you should choose a model up to 600 degrees Fahrenheit.
3. Placement – Oven thermometers usually come with hooks, and you can hang it on the oven racks, and some of them stand on their own with the base. If your oven window is big, you can position the oven thermometer on one end of the rack or hang it if your oven window is small.
4. Material – Stainless Steel with a 304-grade type is safe to use in ovens. Another option is to choose an oven thermometer approved by the National Sanitation Foundation (NSF) that ensures the firm obeys industry concerning material standards, design, safety, construction, and performance factors.
5. Waterproof – It is great to choose an oven thermometer that is waterproof as you would be using it inside your dishes for precise reading and would need often cleaning with water to remove stains.
After so much effort you put on baking, you would not like the food to be overcooked, under cooked, or the coming out with a hard texture.
Thus, an oven thermometer helps you with the precise temperature reading to cook and bake your dishes as per the recipe.
Subscribe to our newsletter below.