An exhaust fan is a great solution to maintain the air quality and an ideal temperature in the areas which are prone to humidity… mainly kitchen.
The steam created by hot water or cooking, the odor from the burnt food, and the moisture can affect your surroundings and create an unpleasant environment to breathe. Kitchen exhaust fan sucks out the hot and humid air and allows the fresh air to enter your kitchen and provides you a better indoor environment.
Table of Contents
- 1 What is an Exhaust Fan?
- 2 Types of Exhaust Fan for Kitchen
- 3 Benefits of Exhaust Fan
- 4 Our 10 Best Kitchen Exhaust Fans
- 4.1 iPower 12 inch Shutter Exhaust Fan
- 4.2 iLiving 12 inch Smart Remote Shutter Exhaust Fan
- 4.3 Holmes Dual Blade Twin Window Fan
- 4.4 Powerful Industrial Exhaust Fan by Maxx Air
- 4.5 Broan- NuTone 509 Square Exhaust Fan
- 4.6 TPI Corporation CE14-DS Exhaust Fan
- 4.7 Air King 9166F 20 Whole House Window Fan
- 4.8 iLIVING ILG8SF16VC Shutter Mount Exhaust Fan
- 4.9 KEN BROWN 12 inch Variable Shutter Exhaust Fan
- 4.10 SAILFLO 6 Inch Reversible Exhaust Fan
- 5 General Factors to consider while buying an Exhaust Fan
What is an Exhaust Fan?
An Exhaust fan contains a motor that turns its blades and pulls the air out of the space it is installed. They are a valuable appliance for your kitchen ventilation. Exhaust Fans operate using electricity and can be controlled using a wall switch. However, some new models have the feature of thermostat that automatically switches on the fan after a certain temperature is reached.
Cooking activities produce a lot of odor… the smell of spices, oil-burning, etc. and can be felt in other areas of your home also if not pushed out. Exhaust fan pushes the bad air and maintains a better airflow keeping the kitchen air fresh.
Related: Best Slide-in Electric Ranges
Types of Exhaust Fan for Kitchen
Below are the types of Kitchen Exhaust Fans:
- Ducted Exhaust Fans – A ducted fan uses an air duct to push the indoor air and moisture out. It empties the kitchen air into outside air in the exterior of your home and is very effective and efficient in removing smoke and humidity.
- Non-Ducted Exhaust Fans – Non-ducted exhaust fan filter the air using charcoal and then release the fresh and clean air back into your kitchen. They are basically a closed system that is installed inside your kitchen only and is less effective than duct ventilation systems.
Installation Guide: How to Install a Kitchen Exhaust Fan (Step-by-Step)
Benefits of Exhaust Fan
Some of the major benefits of Exhaust fans are listed below:
- Exhaust fans remove excess moisture and oil build-up that can damage your ceilings or walls.
- These fans improve the air quality as an unpleasant odor is drawn out, offering you a clean atmosphere.
- It vents out the hot air and quickly cools down the kitchen area that becomes hot from cooking activities.
- An exhaust fan pulls the steam out of your kitchen, improving your visibility in the kitchen.
- Exhaust fans reduce humidity in your kitchen, avoiding the mold to accumulate by removing the smoke.
- It prevents the build-up of dangerous gases and offers ideal ventilation.
Our 10 Best Kitchen Exhaust Fans
iPower 12 inch Shutter Exhaust Fan
iPower 12-inch shutter exhaust fan is efficient for your garage, kitchen, attic, chicken coop, or greenhouse shop. The fan weighs only 5 pounds and is easy to carry and install. You can either install the exhaust fan on the wall or can add it to the window opening for better functioning. The shutter fans are automatic gravity shutters that open and close according to the operation of the fan.
The high-quality aluminum shutters and blades are resistant to corrosion and rust… offering high durability. The powerful exhaust fan offers an airflow capacity of 940 cubic feet per minute, with around 1620 rotations per minute. The motor used in the fan is permanently lubricated and thermally protected and is completely enclosed—great quality exhaust fan for pulling out fumes and smoke from a small building.
iLiving 12 inch Smart Remote Shutter Exhaust Fan
A reliable product with advanced technology that reduces your cooling bills, significantly keeping your living space and kitchen cooler by preventing allergens and mold. The wall-mounted exhaust fan is great for the kitchen as it provides effective air circulation while you are cooking and reduces the effects of steam, fumes, humidity, heat, and strong odors, giving you a clear vision in the workspace.
The high-quality aluminum shutters can bear heat and moisture for a longer period and prevent corrosion and rust forming. The exhaust fan comes with a permanently lubricated motor that prevents issues caused due to heavy usage and friction giving a consistent speed and smooth function. The power and efficiency provided by the shutter exhaust fan are wonderful. A thermally protected motor offers easy maintenance and is fully enclosed… so you can use the exhaust fan in other areas also such as the attic, garage, shed, etc.
- Airflow capacity is 772 cubic feet per minute.
- Provides around 1625 rotations per minute.
- Adjustable speed functionality with remote control.
- High-quality rust and corrosion resistant aluminum shutters.
- Thermally protected and fully enclosed motor.
Holmes Dual Blade Twin Window Fan
A great choice to bring in the fresh air from outdoors and to exhaust the stale indoor air with the dual blade twin window exhaust fan. It is designed for the slider window kitchen or double-hung windows and comes with manual controls that you can select as per the desired results.
The exhaust fan includes independent and reversible motors that allow you to choose if you want air intake, exhaust, or air exchange function. The dual blade operation comes with three-speed settings… you can either choose the fan to be on low, medium, or high speed as per the need. The extender screen is adjustable, and you also get an extender panel for securing the exhaust fan into larger windows. The exhaust fan is energy efficient and uses around 60% less energy as compared to other exhaust fans in the market.
- Dual blade operation comes with three-speed settings.
- Independent and Reversible motors.
- Adjustable extender screen with extender panel.
- The exhaust fans have water-resistant motors.
Powerful Industrial Exhaust Fan by Maxx Air
Maxx Air has been a pioneer in the ventilation industry since 1948… So, if you are looking for a highly functional and efficient fan for good ventilation, Maxx Air’s powerful industrial exhaust fan is a great choice to opt for. The fan keeps your nearby air fresh and clean and also is very powerful to eliminate any harmful particles such as fumes, oil droplets, moisture, and chemicals.
The exhaust fan includes a 2-OSHA compliant feature, which includes a safe grill, and the other is the fully enclosed and thermally protected motor. Automatic exterior shutters are closed tightly to prevent a draft when the fan is not in use but opens when the fan is powered on. The heavy-duty exhaust fans offer 1400 CFM airflow capacity with a 14-inch fan blade great for a moderate to large space. The exhaust fan has rolled flange edges that provide extra security during installation
- Automatic exterior shutters.
- 2-OSHA compliant features.
- Galvanized steel prevents rust forming.
- Exhaust fan offers 1400 CFM airflow capacity.
- Rolled flange edges for extra security during installation.
Broan- NuTone 509 Square Exhaust Fan
Broan NuTone is a beautiful and modish ventilation fan available with through-the-wall installation. It keeps your kitchen and home smelling fresh by removing cooking odors, humidity, or other unpleasant smells. The exhaust fan comes in an 8 inch white color in square shape that easily blends with your existing decor.
You can replace or fit the new unit on a 4.5 inch to 9.5 inches or 5.25 inch to a 10-inch thick wall. The exhaust fan includes a built-in damper that helps to reduce the backdrafts offering energy-efficient units. The polymeric grilles are decorative to your walls, unlike other steel exhaust fans, and provides safety while the unit is on. The exhaust fan features specially designed polymeric fan blades for high performance.
- Built-in damper to reduce the backdrafts.
- The airflow capacity of the ventilation fan is 180 CFM.
- Decorative polymeric grilles.
- Specially designed polymeric fan blades for high performance.
- Enough for a room or kitchen up to 170 sq. ft.
TPI Corporation CE14-DS Exhaust Fan
TPI corporation is a well-known firm for manufacturing process heat ovens, ventilation products, fans, lighting equipment, thermostatic controls, electric heat equipment, etc. TPI CE14-DS is a single-phase chain operated exhaust fan with easy to operate pull chain switch.
Fan head’s 3 aluminum paddles are held using the blade assembly and are enclosed with front spiral wire made of steel that offers strength to the fan. The exhaust fan includes a built-in shutter mechanism that allows you to install the fan without external framing. The shutters of the exhaust fan are self-closing, offering protection from rain and snow when the fan is not in operation.
- 120 volts input voltage and 2 amp current.
- Permanently lubricated motor with a split capacitor.
- Front spiral wire made of steel to offers strength.
- Built-in shutter mechanism to install without external framing.
- Self-closing shutters.
Air King 9166F 20 Whole House Window Fan
Air king window fan is an effective solution for ventilation and effective air circulation as it helps to keep your kitchen or room, fresh and cool. The window fan is constructed using high-quality materials to offer high performance and durability. The exhaust fan is 20-inches in diameter and weighs 32.7 pounds.
The exhaust fan features three-speed rotations where low is 1100 RPM, medium speed is 1450 RPM, and high speed is 1600 RPM. The window fan features a front-mounted rotary switch with powder coated front grilles and blade. It comes with a one-phase permanently lubricated motor with sleeve bearing and permanently split capacitor. The exhaust fan offers industrial-grade quality and offers high-velocity air circulation and ventilation for your kitchen and room. Whole-house window fan includes Storm guard sliding panels and mounting hardware along with a simple and easy to understand instruction manual.
- Front-mounted rotary switch with powder coated front grilles.
- Three variable speed rotations…1100/1450/1600 RPM.
- One-phase permanently lubricated motor.
- Industrial-grade quality offers high-velocity air circulation
- Storm guard sliding panels.
iLIVING ILG8SF16VC Shutter Mount Exhaust Fan
Another high-quality product form iLiving that offers superior ventilation in the installed space by removing excess moisture, heat, and unpleasant odors preventing allergens and mold from keeping your kitchen space cooler and comfortable. The wall-mounted shutter exhaust fan is 16-inches in diameter and available in classy silver finish.
The wall mount shutter exhaust fan runs on 120 volts at 1/20 horsepower. The aluminum shutters of the ventilation fan are weather resistant and can withstand heat and moisture for a longer period. When combined with a speed controller, the exhaust fan offers adjustable speed functionality to customize your comfort. The motor is permanently lubricated, thermally protected, and enclosed, making it OSHA compliant.
- The exhaust fan offers 1500 RPM.
- The airflow capacity of the exhaust fan is 1200 cubic feet per minute.
- Great for an area up to 1800 square feet.
- Weather-resistant aluminum shutters.
- Adjustable speed functionality.
KEN BROWN 12 inch Variable Shutter Exhaust Fan
Enjoy the pleasant surroundings with fresh airflow when you use the versatile exhaust fan by KEN BROWN. The 12-inch exhaust fan can be installed at your workshops, home, factories, kitchen, warehouses, barns, and greenhouses, etc. The highly functional ventilation fan removes dust, extra moisture, heat, and unpleasant odors quickly from any space where it is installed.
The high-grade aluminum is used for the construction of shutter and blade, making it corrosion resistant and durable to withstand high temperatures and moisture. The exhaust fan offers wall-mounted installation with automatic gravity shutters that opens and closes as per the fan operation. You get a variable speed controller with the unit that allows you to adjust 70% to 100% speed of your exhaust fan. The motor is fully enclosed and is permanently lubricated with thermal protection for easy maintenance
- Variable speed controller.
- The fan offers 1650 rotations per minute.
- Airflow capacity of the exhaust fan is 1800 CFM.
- High-grade aluminum is rust and corrosion-resistant.
- Automatic gravity shutters.
- Fully enclosed and permanently lubricated motor.
SAILFLO 6 Inch Reversible Exhaust Fan
SAILFLO 6 inch window exhaust fan is a delight to have in your kitchen as the exhaust fan is small in size but is very efficient and multipurpose. The exhaust fan is available with wall-mounted and comes with a 33-inch power cord with a plug. The detachable panel offers easy installation and cleaning.
The double direction ventilation fan can be controlled with the rope… Pull the rope once for the exhaust of dirty air and pull the rope twice to intake the fresh air. The high-quality motor is wear-resistant, and sleeve bearing and can work continuously for 9000 hours with stable and quiet operation. The airflow capacity is huge as per the fan size. The ventilation fan features a two-way linkage type… it can eliminate hot air and inhale cool nature wind apart from exhausting smoke.
- Exhaust capacity is 300 m3/h (176CFM).
- Air intake capacity is 180 m3/h.
- 2-way linkage type for intake and exhaust.
- Wear-resistant motor with sleeve bearing.
- Can work up to 9000 hours with stable operation.
- Rope pull control.
General Factors to consider while buying an Exhaust Fan
While choosing a ventilation fan for your kitchen, do consider the below factors, which will help you to have the best choice.
- Airflow Capability – The airflow for all exhaust fan is measured in CFM that tells us how much cubit foot of air is moved per minute. The airflow for small exhaust fans is around 30-50, whereas larger models reach 200 to 300. To find the minimum airflow required by your kitchen, multiply the kitchen square footage by height and divide by 7.5 to know the best CFM rating. Or for simple logic, a 50 square foot kitchen would require 50 CFM capacity.
- Mounting Type – Exhaust fans can be mounted on the ceiling, walls, or may have exterior mounting. The best choice for the kitchen fan is wall mounted exhaust fans. Exterior mounting is also a great option as the noise is produced outside. For modern kitchens, the most preferred exhaust fans are ceiling fans that improve the ventilation system in the ceiling itself.
- Special Controls – Some of the exhaust fans have special and pleasing features such as motion sensing capability, which would automatically turn off the fan when you leave the kitchen. Another important feature is the humidity sensor that turns on the fan when moisture is detected. Some exhaust fans have a low wattage night light to help you find the way through your room in the dark.
- Noise Level – Most of the exhaust fans are known to produce a lot of noise, which is measured in sones. The exhaust fans with sones value 2 or less are quiet fans, whereas the fans that generate 4 sones or more are considered very noisy. The lower the sone value, the higher will be the price of the exhaust fan. The small exhaust fans would usually produce low noise than the heavy and larger exhaust fans.
- Duct Size – Another factor you need to consider is the duct size, which is required for an exhaust fan to operate efficiently. You need the right duct size to fit the duct conductor on the fan, and also it should be routed to the right place. The force that ventilation fan puts and pressure in ducts depend on the length and composition of ducts. So, better check the duct diameter on the exhaust fan for the effective working of the exhaust fan.
- Our Best Kitchen Faucets for Hard Water
- 10 Best Over The Range Microwave Convection Oven Combo
- 10 Best Slide-in Electric Ranges
Subscribe to our newsletter below.