Cookies are treats that are enjoyed by all age groups. Munching cookies is one of the best ways to keep our mouth and stomach base. However, it is not the best option to keep buying cookies from your local bakery. Not only are they not fresh, but they can also be unhealthy. One of the best ways to learn cookie baking is relying on the best cookie cookbooks.
A cookie cookbook helps even a beginner prepare some of the most delicious cookies. In fact, some cookie cookbooks are as effective as learning from a professional baker or even attending a baking workshop. However, there are many cookie cookbooks available online. Each of the books contains different recipes, different ingredients, and varying levels of hardness.
- Clear instructions
- Many sandwich cookie recipes
- Tasty recipes
So, which cookbook should you buy? To help you make a quicker and more informed decision, we have compiled a list of the 10 Best Cookie Cookbooks that are very affordable. The buyer’s guide will also help you understand what to look for when purchasing a cookie cookbook.
Table of Contents
- 1 Benefits of using a Cookie Cookbook
- 2 How to Choose The Best Cookie Cookbook?
- 3 Our Top Picks for Cookie Cookbook
- 4 10 Best Cookie Cookbook
- 4.1 1. Martha Stewart’s Cookie Perfection by the Editors of Martha Stewart Living
- 4.2 2. 30 Delicious Cookies Collection by Kitchenfeeds
- 4.3 3. Dorie’s Cookies by Dorie Greenspan
- 4.4 4. The Cookie Collection: Artisan Baking for the Cookie Enthusiast by Brian Hart Hoffman
- 4.5 5. The Perfect Cookie by America’s Test Kitchen
- 4.6 6. 100 Cookies by Sarah Kieffer
- 4.7 7. 101 Greatest Cookies on the Planet by Erin Mylroie
- 4.8 8. Cookie Love by Mindy Segal
- 4.9 9. The Gourmet Cookie Book by Gourmet Magazine
- 4.10 10. The Easy Homemade Cookie Cookbook by Miranda Couse
- 5 Top Authors for Cookie Cookbooks
- 6 Conclusion
Benefits of using a Cookie Cookbook
- Illustrated pictures for better understanding of recipe
- Precise measurements for the ingredients required
- Baking helps reduce stress levels
How to Choose The Best Cookie Cookbook?
Baking is very simple; all you need are the ingredients and the baking skill. Unfortunately, the latter requires a lot of time and dedication. To hone your skills, you need a guide, a cookbook. Here are a few things you should look for when buying a cookbook.
1. Niche – When buying a cookbook, you must decide the niche. In this case, you should be looking for a cookie cookbook. Many cookbooks are general cookbooks, which cover a wide range of baking topics. However, if you are looking to bake cookies, buying a cookbook that teaches you how to bake a cake will be useless. So, look for a cookbook that is solely dedicated to cookie making. Most cookie cookbooks come with dedicated cookie recipes, baking techniques, and personal stories.
2. Ease of following instructions – Anyone can write instructions of their own. However, writing instructions that are clear for others is very tough. The world’s best baker might have the best recipes for making cookies; however, if his instructions aren’t clear, no one will be able to bake the same. You must search for cookbooks that have clear and concise instructions. The ingredients should be mentioned clearly, along with their measurements. Moreover, the instructions should also talk about what not to do so that you are careful while baking.
3. Pictures – Another factor to look out for is whether the cookbook has pictures. Sometimes, instructions are just not enough. For instance, the instructions may state that the dough should be fluffy. However, many beginners don’t know how fluffy dough looks. Also, many might wonder about the degree of fluffiness that needs to be achieved. This is one of the main reasons many authors include pictures and their recipes. Not only do pictures improve the readability of the book, but they also give the baker a clear idea of how the recipe should look like. Pictures breathe life into the soul of the book.
4. Hardcopy – A recent introduction to the market is ebooks. However, unlike hard copies, ebooks offer far less value to the reader. Sure, you can have a million books downloaded with the help of an electronic reader. But, on the other hand, hard copies are much easier to assimilate and consult whenever needed. Moreover, hard copies are much better written and well-researched than ebooks.
5. Price – Cookbooks are generally cheap. At the price of a few dollars, you gain access to a wealth of information. Ebooks are generally cheaper than hard copies. Generally, the greater the number of recipes, the higher the price is. Moreover, the reputation of the author or the baker can also greatly influence the price of the book. Lastly, high-quality printed books also cost more than ones with a cheaper print. Depending on the above-mentioned factors, the price of the book is determined.
Our Top Picks for Cookie Cookbook
“If you are looking for cookie recipes that have a wide variety, flavor, and are delicious, this cookbook should be your top choice.”
30 Delicious Cookies Collection by Kitchenfeeds
“Kitchenfeeds has provided a cookbook with 30 delicious recipes, which are easy to bake and meant for all skill levels.”
“With Dorie’s signature flavor, texture preference, and precision, Dorie’s Cookies has a wide range of recipes which also has a lot of detail about technique, tools, and ingredients.”
“Brian Hart Hoffman has delivered one of the best cookie cookbooks which include the chocolate chip chapter, based on his own baking style.”
“The Perfect Cookie has a fantastic book layout and features many recipes based on the reverse creaming technique.”
“If you are looking for a cookbook that focuses on technique and the basics of baking, you should look at this cookbook by Sarah Kieffer.”
“This cookbook from Erin Mylroie is special as it has her own stories with these recipes.”
“Cookie Love has a lot of unique and fun recipes, making it the perfect cookbook for special occasions and holidays.”
“With 68 different recipes from different generations, this cookbook brings together the best of both old and modern cookie recipes.”
“Having a collection of more than 150 recipes, this cookbook is very well organized and has simple, easy-to-follow instructions.”
10 Best Cookie Cookbook
1. Martha Stewart’s Cookie Perfection by the Editors of Martha Stewart Living
- Clear instructions
- Many sandwich cookie recipes
- Tasty recipes
- Takes time to bake
If you are a beginner looking forward to baking cookies at home, you should definitely take a look at Martha Stewart’s Cookie Perfection. With the help of classic procedures and standard available tools, you can make delicious cookies that are very photogenic. Moreover, the cookbook has over 100 different recipes for every occasion.
The recipes are perfect for both beginners and seasoned professionals. Not only are the recipes delicious, but they also have a nice variety, flavor, and creativity. Most of the measurements in the book are made according to volume instead of weight. Moreover, all the techniques are accompanied by instructions and photos to never feel lost.
One of the best recipes in this cookbook is the “Extraordinary Chocolate Chip Cookies.” Apart from classic recipes, you also get recipes with lots of unexpected twists, like the “Carrot Cake Thumbprint Cookies.” Also, the recipes are inspired by various cultures across the globe if you are looking to make something culturally different. The cookbook is very highly regarded in the baking industry. It was named one of the Best Cookbooks of the Year by the Food Network.
2. 30 Delicious Cookies Collection by Kitchenfeeds
This amazing cookie cookbook from Kitchenfeeds is definitely worth your time and money. With a curated collection of just 30 recipes, this cookbook focuses only on cooking baking. Each recipe is designed so that it serves a large number of people while requiring minimal preparation time.
One of the best traits of this book is that, along with the ingredients required, it also mentions the nutritional value of each recipe. Moreover, the directions are easy to understand and follow. If that wasn’t enough, the book also provides recipe tips with each recipe. Finally, if you cannot find a certain ingredient, substitute ingredients are also provided.
- Lots of detail about technique, tools, and ingredients
- Quick preparation times
- Only 30 recipes
3. Dorie’s Cookies by Dorie Greenspan
- Many recipes
- Lots of detail about technique, tools, and ingredients
- Some recipes are dry and boring
One of the most well-written books is Dorie’s Cookies. Written by Dorie Greenspan, the cookbook has a fine collection of recipes from her family and friends. The book is so well written that it feels like you have stepped into the writer’s mind. In fact, this book has won many accolades, such as the James Beard Award-winner for Best Taking and Dessert Book 2017.
Apart from the writer’s precision and elegance, the recipes also have a signature flavor and texture preference. Two of the best recipes in her book are the “My Classic Best Chocolate Chip Cookies” and the “My Newest Chocolate Chip Cookies.” Both of the recipes are extraordinary. The cookies have a very well-balanced taste. In fact, you will find the right hint of butter, caramel, and sugar.
Apart from cookie recipes, you will also find recipes for shortbread, raspberry jam, streusel toppings, and a lot more. Despite being a professional baker, Dorie Greenspan recommends ingredients and machinery widely available. Hence, these features make this one of the best books for home bakers.
4. The Cookie Collection: Artisan Baking for the Cookie Enthusiast by Brian Hart Hoffman
- Clear instructions
- Easy recipes for beginners
- Some recipes might require uncommon ingredients
If you are looking for a cookbook that can help you make some of the best chocolate chip cookies, you should take a look at “The Cookie Collection.” In fact, this cookbook has an assortment of recipes, from buttercream-filled sandwich cookies to gingerbread and shortbread. No matter the season, this cookbook will surely have you covered.
A rather interesting feature about this book is the innovative chapters. For example, “FOMO Cookies” gives you Brian Hoffman’s take on viral recipes. Other chapters like “Spice It Up” and “Bake It Bigger” easily help the baker find the recipe he is looking for. Moreover, recipes like the “Irish Creme Thumbprints” and “Sprinkle Sugar Cookie” are very popular amongst beginners.
All the recipes are very well-balanced, tasty, and beautifully textured. Also, the book includes an entire chapter, “The Obligatory Chocolate Chip Chapter”, devoted to Brian Hoffman’s style. The best part about this cookbook is that its clear instructions help bakers of all skill levels make delicious cookies.
5. The Perfect Cookie by America’s Test Kitchen
- Countless recipes
- Fantastic book layout
- Many reverse creaming recipes
- Recipes only work with weight measurements
- Few innovative recipes
Yet another fun cookbook is “The perfect Cookie” by America’s Test Kitchen. The brand has compiled its own cookbook, which is a perfect guide to the basics of cookie baking. These kitchen-tested classic cookie recipes are perfect for both beginners and professional bakers alike.
Along with the recipes, you get full-page photos to help you understand how the end product should look like. Apart from cookies, there are countless recipes for brownies, truffles, crumble-topped bars, and a lot more.
Apart from the various tips and tricks provided with every chapter, you also get introductory sections that give a better insight into the fundamentals of cookie baking.
6. 100 Cookies by Sarah Kieffer
- Innovative baking techniques
- Recipes accompanied by photos
- Easy to follow delicious recipes
- Some recipes might be too sweet
A must-have cookbook is “100 Cookies” by Sarah Kieffer. Apart from classic cookies, this cookbook also has delicious recipes for making cookie bars, brownies, novel treats, and much more. A well-known blogger, Sarah Kieffer, includes 7 chapters in this book that teach you everything you need to know to make cookies.
100 cookie recipes will ensure that you always have something to make, no matter the occasion. Moreover, an entire chapter is dedicated to the Pan Banging Technique. This technique teaches the baker about how to make cookie edges crisp while ensuring that the center remains soft.
This book is very popular and has been featured in many different magazines. Moreover, the book was also nominated for a 2020 Goodreads Choice Award for Best Cookbooks. If you are looking for a book that teaches you a lot more than just baking cookies, you should go for the “100 Cookies” cookbook.
7. 101 Greatest Cookies on the Planet by Erin Mylroie
- Many recipes
- Simple and straightforward instructions
- Personal stories with every recipe is a nice touch
- Book format could be better
One of the best cookbooks by Erin Mylroie is “101 Greatest Cookies”. In this book, the author provides her top 101 cookie recipes. One of the most popular recipes in her cookbook is the New York Giant Chocolate Cookie.
This wonderful cookbook has recipes made for all occasions, including housewarming events, birthday parties, get-togethers, and even casual holidays. Each recipe comes with its unique twist. Apart from cookie recipes, you also learn how to mix dogs in a single bowl, cut down on waste, and reduce cleaning time.
Doesn’t matter if you are a beginner or a professional; you will find the recipes very easy to follow. Courtesy of the innovative baking methods, you will be able to bake with confidence and obtain deliciously decadent results in very little time.
8. Cookie Love by Mindy Segal
- Inspirational recipes
- Recipes for different occasions
- Generic design
- Weight measurements not provided.
Mindy Segal is an iconic pastry chef who has won the James Beard Award. After gaining a lot of experience, her book “Cookie Love” has gained a lot of traction in recent years. The recipes are a mixture of cookies, bars, shortbreads, sandwich cookies, spritzes, rugelach, and a lot more.
Pictures included in the book help the baker understand the desired end product. With this cookbook, you get the author’s fun interpretations into the different recipes as well. Each of the unique sixty recipes ensures that you have something to bake for every special occasion.
The book is divided into different chapters based on the type of cookie. With many easy-to-bake recipes, this cookbook is a joy for home bakers and professionals alike. Two of the best recipes in this book are “Smoky Bacon Candy Bar Cookies” and “Folgers Crystals with Sour Cream Gianduja Shortbread.”
9. The Gourmet Cookie Book by Gourmet Magazine
- Good selection of recipes
- Photos with each recipe
- History of the recipe along with the reason for selection
- Book design could be better
The Gourmet magazine has been in existence since 1941. With such illustrious history, the editors of the Gourmet magazine were able to delve deep into their archives and curate a collection of the best cookie recipes for every year.
After testing and experimenting with thousands of recipes, some sent in by the readers as well Gourmet Magazine has come up with 68 different recipes. This collection includes cookies of every type and description. Moreover, these cookie recipes come from all around the world. If that’s not enough, you also get a history of how the cookies have evolved and their cultural context.
One of the best recipes is the “Speculaas Cookies” from 1971. The Trader Joe’s spread is also a very tasty treat.
10. The Easy Homemade Cookie Cookbook by Miranda Couse
- Easy to follow
- Well organized
- 150 recipes
- Missing recipe photos
The last cookbook on our list is “The Easy Homemade Cookie Cookbook” by Miranda Couse. Designed for bakers of all skill levels, the cookbook has incredible classics, ranging from old-fashioned cookies to pumpkin spice shortbread.
One of the standout features of this cookbook is that it guides you in aspects like stocking your kitchen, the tools needed, and the basics of baking that are required. Also, the author includes many tricks about how to handle leftovers, varying the different recipes, and the substitutes for various ingredients.
With over 150 recipes, this cookbook has recipes that can fulfill the needs of anyone. From cookies to cream pies and everything in between, “The Easy Home-made Cookie Cookbook” will have everyone marveling at your baking in no time at all.
Top Authors for Cookie Cookbooks
With a wide collection of DIY crafts and recipes, Martha Stewart is known for inspiring people every day. In addition, her website contains blogs about popular topics, including food, holidays, entertaining, gardening, beauty and wellness, and much more.
Since having burnt down her parent’s kitchen, Dorie Greenspan has come a long way. As a columnist for the New York Times Magazine, Dorie has written 14 cookbooks. In recognition of her efforts, she has won many awards such as the Cookbook of the Year Award, the Mérite Agricole, and much more.
Brian Hart Hoffman
Introduced to the hobby of baking at a tender age of 9 years, Brain Hart Hoffman is now the Editor-in-Chief of the popular magazine Bake from Scratch.
America’s Test Kitchen
Another popular brand is America’s Test Kitchen. ATK produces two well-known public TV cooking series, Cook’s Country and America’s Test Kitchen. The brand also publishes its recipes in magazines and cookbooks.
A self-taught baker, Sarah had previously worked at various coffeehouse bakeries. After years of experimenting and repeated efforts, she publishes her recipes and kitchen moments in her blog, called ‘The Vanilla Bean Blog.’
Another very popular author, Erin Mylroie, has written two cookbooks. Apart from the 101 Greatest Cookies on the Planet, she is also the author of ‘2-Ingredient Miracle Dough Cookbook: Easy Lower-Carb Recipes for Flatbreads, Bagels, Desserts and More.’
Known for her restaurant, HotChocolate, Mindy Segal is the author of the best-selling cookbook ‘Cookie Love.’ In addition, she is one of the premier pastry chefs who has appeared on many esteemed TV shows.
Dedicated to food and wine, Gourmet magazine was one of the first monthly publications in the U.S. Founded by Earle R. MacAusland; the magazine had published its first magazine in 1941.
Miranda Couse is the author of the dessert blog “Cookie Dough and Oven Mitt.” She is an avid foodie and Pinterest addict too.
There is a vast collection of cookie cookbooks available on the internet. Arguably, the best cookie cookbook is “Martha Stewart’s Cookie Perfection.” Not only are the recipes very tasty, but the instructions are also very concise and easy to understand. On the other hand, if you are looking for a cookbook with both old and modern recipes, “The Gourmet Cookie Book” should definitely be your choice. Finally, if you are looking for a different book, the other options in our list will definitely have you covered.
Subscribe to our newsletter below.