A refrigerator is an essential appliance for your home for storing and keeping food fresh.
But, they can be expensive most of the time; that is why a counter-depth refrigerator can be purchased instead.
Table of Contents
- 1 What is a counter depth refrigerator?
- 2 Counter-Depth Refrigerator Styles
- 3 Our 5 Best Counter Depth Refrigerators
- 3.1 Best Budget Pick: Frigidaire FFHD2250TS Counter Depth French Door Refrigerator
- 3.2 Best Overall Pick: Haier 16.0 Cu. Ft. 4 Door Bottom Freezer Refrigerator
- 3.3 Premium Pick: SMETA Counter Depth French Door Bottom Freezer Refrigerator
- 3.4 Summit Appliance Wide Bottom Freezer
- 3.5 Best Convenient Pick: Frigidaire Freestanding Side by Side Refrigerator
- 4 Factors to Consider Before Purchasing a Counter Depth Refrigerator
- 5 Conclusion
What is a counter depth refrigerator?
A counter-depth refrigerator is basically designed to cater to the same storage needs as a regular-sized refrigerator without taking too much space. Counter-depth refrigerators are usually below 20 to 30 inches deep.
Purchasing a counter-depth refrigerator will give you more room to open the door without crashing into something; it has a shallower depth, which will give easy access to the food and drinks.
The counter-depth refrigerator is wider, sleek, and more compact than a traditional refrigerator. It has been designed for a smaller kitchen.
Counter-Depth Refrigerator Styles
A counter-depth refrigerator usually has four foremost styles – the side-by-side, French door, top-freezer, and bottom-freezer.
This refrigerator model has two doors that extend till the full height of the fridge. It has a refrigerator on one side and a freezer on the other side.
- French door:
In this style, the refrigerator has a freezer in the drawer below and two doors on top. It opens outwards, which reveals the large space inside of the refrigerator. A French door refrigerator requires less space than a traditional single door refrigerator; that is why these are suitable for smaller kitchens.
This style consists of a freezer on the top and the rest of the refrigerator below. Depending on the model, the doors can be different for the freezer and the refrigerator.
In this type of refrigerator, the freezer drawer is the door. It is quite similar to a French door, except it has one refrigerator door instead of two.
Our 5 Best Counter Depth Refrigerators
Let’s compare these with some of its unique features and characteristics:
|Frigidaire FFHD2250TS Counter Depth French Door Refrigerator||22.5 Cu. Ft||Counter-depth French Door||Glide crisper drawers and Multi-Level LED Lighting||1 year|
|Haier 16.0 Cu. Ft. 4 Door Bottom Freezer Refrigerator||16.4 Cu. Ft.||Counter-depth French Door with Bottom Freezer||High/Low Humidity Crisper, LED lighting, and Quick Cool & Quick Freeze function||3 year|
|SMETA Counter Depth French Door Bottom Freezer Refrigerator||20.7 cubic feet||French Door with a bottom freezer.||Humidity-Controlled crisper, Auto Defrost, and Door Open Alarm||1 year|
|Summit Appliance Wide Bottom Freezer||12.5 Cu. Ft.||Bottom Freezer||Frost-free Operation, Digital Temperature Control, and LED Lighting||3 year|
|Frigidaire Freestanding Side by Side Refrigerator||22.0 Cu. ft.||Side by Side Door||Control Lockand Store-More option||3 year|
Here are some of the best counter-depth refrigerators under $1500:
Best Budget Pick: Frigidaire FFHD2250TS Counter Depth French Door Refrigerator
- Stainless steel material.
- Provides water filtration.
- Has an ice maker.
- Large storage capacity.
- Easy to move & clean.
- Sturdy with great dimensions.
- No Wi-Fi.
- Poor customer service.
- 1-year warranty only.
A good storage option is essential for your refrigerator; the Frigidaire French door refrigerator is one of the market’s best options.
It has Glide crisper drawers, which are built to hold grocery items and food products with a humidity-controlled environment feature that will keep them fresh. It comes with Multi-Level LED Lighting.
To give stability to the storage, some drawers can be stacked side-by-side, allowing you to organize your refrigerator according to your needs. The Store-More Shelves provide a considerable space to store your food along with the gallon-sized Store-More bins that can hold bottles well.
Its total capacity is about 22.5 Cu. Ft, in which the Refrigerator Capacity is about 15.7 Cu. Ft and the Freezer Capacity: 6.8 Cu. Ft. The dimensions are 30.88 x 35.63 x 69.38 inches. It comes with an external Water Dispenser, has an Ice Maker, and is Energy Star Certified.
Best Overall Pick: Haier 16.0 Cu. Ft. 4 Door Bottom Freezer Refrigerator
- Huge storage capacity.
- Effortless temperature controls.
- Keeps vegetables crisp & fresh.
- Built-in wide LED lighting.
- Has many drawers and shelves.
- Stainless steel.
- Satisfactory build quality.
- No ice maker.
- Not fingerprint-resistant.
For a smaller kitchen, Haier 4 Door Bottom Freezer Counter-Depth Design Refrigerator with the Storage Capacity of 16.4 Cu. Ft is the best choice.
It has an affordable price with superior features like the LED lighting for better navigation at night; the lighting is also energy-saving.
It comes with a Sabbath Mode functionality and a Quick Cool and Quick Freeze function, which keeps food fresh for a long time. It’s a High/Low Humidity Crisper, which maintains the ideal temperature for green-leafy vegetables.
Its dimensions are as follows (WHD): 32.75 in. X 71 in. X 26.5 inches and has been enclosed with six door bins, which can accommodate items ranging from a small to large size. The style of this is a classic French Door.
Premium Pick: SMETA Counter Depth French Door Bottom Freezer Refrigerator
- Huge storage capacity.
- Offers better humidity control.
- Keeps grocery fresh.
- Adjustable shelves.
- Workable space.
- Offers an ice maker.
- Has an open door alarm.
- Has no front handles.
- Slightly expensive.
This option might be slightly over 1500$, but it is worth the hype as it has fine interior space with the shelves that make it look more organized. This classic french door Refrigerator comes with side Compartments and a bottom freezer drawer.
The dimensions of this are: 35.8″ x 30.8″ x 69.9″ and the storage capacity of this is 20.7 cubic ft, which is 14.7 cubic ft for the refrigerator and 6 cubic ft freezer. It has a power of about 310 watts and has a great stainless steel finishing, which is also fingerprint-resistant.
Other than that, it comes with some versatile functions like the door open alarm, in which an alarm rings if the door is open for a longer length of time. For frozen foods, it has a Frost free: auto defrost function.
For fresh vegetables, it includes a humidity controlled crisper; apart from that, it also has a built-in ice maker.
Summit Appliance Wide Bottom Freezer
- Stainless-steel material.
- Frost-free compartments.
- Low maintenance.
- Energy Star Certified.
- Convenient temperature controls.
- Has an LED light.
- Eco and Holiday mode for energy saving.
- Multiple storage options.
- Adjustable shelves.
- No ice maker.
- No sabbath mode.
- No Wi-Fi.
Another option with superior control and digital functions is the counter depth bottom-freezer refrigerator by Summit. It offers a storage capacity of 12.5 cu. ft and its dimensions are 78.25 x 23.63 x 25.63 inches.
It has a stainless steel platinum color finish, which is fingerprint-resistant and has Pro style handles that make this refrigerator look modern and stylish.
Some of its features include an external digital control panel, which allows you to manage the food contents at ease with a. “Super Cool” and “Super Freeze” option.
The temperature settings have the option of Celsius or Fahrenheit readings. It also has A “Holiday” setting to reduce energy consumption when you are away from home. Other than that, it also has an “Eco” mode for longer vacations and lets you save more energy.
Inside the refrigerator, there are user-friendly compartments that are frost-free; it also includes removable door racks and spill-proof glass shelves.
The storage unit includes a clear crisper and slide-out drawer for meats and other grocery items that need to be stored at a colder temperature. It also has an efficient LED light and a Door alarm for two minutes. For organized storage, it also has a removable ice cube box.
Best Convenient Pick: Frigidaire Freestanding Side by Side Refrigerator
- Spiral design bread.
- The dough doesn’t get stuck much on the basket.
- Follows the German Food Safety measures.
- Has fewer accessories.
A Side By Side Refrigerator provides access to both the freezer and the interior of the refrigerator equally and allows a spacious look for your kitchen.
Here’s the Frigidaire Freestanding Side by Side Refrigerator, a convenient option for your kitchen. The total storage capacity of this is 22.2 cu. Ft and its dimensions are 27.12 x 36 x 69.88 inches.
Some of its great functions are the elastic shelving and the Store-More crisper drawers for fresh food. It can also store gallons of milk easily. It provides water filtration, which cleans ice as well. This refrigerator has a Control Lock option for children’s safety and has bright LED interior lighting.
Factors to Consider Before Purchasing a Counter Depth Refrigerator
Before purchasing a counter depth refrigerator, there are a few things you should give considerations to:
- Style or Door Style: As mentioned above, there are four types or styles of Counter Depth Refrigerators: the Side by Side, French Door, Top Freezer, and Bottom Freezer. So before purchasing, you would want to consider which style or door would be good for your kitchen space.
- Cooling System: One of the main components of a counter-depth refrigerator is the cooling system. A good cooling system will keep food fresh for a longer time. You must check if the refrigerator offers a dual or a single evaporator. Usually, Dual Evaporators are preferred; they provide various functions like smart cooling.
- Capacity: A counter depth refrigerator is compact; hence the storage capacity will be less than a standard refrigerator, but it is still important to store maximum food or drinks, so look for one with a standard storage capacity. In addition to that, consider important items like shelves or drawers that will help increase the storage.
- Size: Another vital factor to consider before purchasing a counter depth refrigerator is the size and dimensions, whether you have enough kitchen space available. Other than that, you must consider the size of the refrigerator door and whether it is crashing into any doorways. So leave enough space to open the doors properly without hitting anything. 18-22cu.ft. is best for 3 people, 22-26cu.ft is best for larger ones.
- Features: Unique features are the most important part of any appliance, including refrigerators. Most people want to get ice and water from the door without opening the door so if you want that, then look for the ones with a filter. You can also check for other features like Wi-Fi compatibility, dual opening doors, temperature adjustments, ice-making technology, etc.
- Warranty: Lastly, it is important to check for the product’s warranty as refrigerators are expensive and an important investment. Make sure you purchase those which have more than a 1-year warranty. An ideal one would offer 5 or 10 years of warranty, on specific parts of the refrigerator, like the compressor.
While all the given counter-depth refrigerators have a lot to offer, according to my recommendation, Haier 16.0 Cu. Ft. 4 Door Bottom Freezer Refrigerator is overall the best pick as it has the most appropriate price.
In terms of performance, its functions are great; not only does it have a good storage capacity, but its temperature controls are also easy to use. The main focus is on keeping food items fresh, which this appliance does well. It also has built-in LED lighting, which is good for navigating when taking out midnight snacks or food.
It consists of many drawers and shelves for easy storage and has a Stainless steel material. The only downside is that it is not fingerprint resistant, but one can clean that easily with a microfiber cloth.
Other than this, if you are under a strict budget but also don’t want to compromise on the quality, then the Frigidaire FFHD2250TS Counter Depth French Door Refrigerator will work great for you.
It has the classic French Door Design and steady dimensions with a large storage capacity. It provides water filtration and has an in-built ice maker as well. It is easy to clean and a sturdy fit for your kitchen.